Since we’re nearly halfway through the year, I thought I’d do a quick roundup of my favorite reads of the year so far. And since I’m terribly indecisive, I ended up with top 6 new-to-me and top 6 rereads.
New to Me:
- The Chosen and the Beautiful by Nghi Vo
- The Witness for the Dead by Katherine Addison
- A Master of Djinn by P. Djeli Clark
- The Queer Principles of Kit Webb by Cat Sebastian
- One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston
- Broken (in the Best Possible Way) by Jenny Lawson
Hmmm. Now that I’m thinking about it, these are all very queer.
- Chosen and the Beautiful – bisexual lead, queer and straight relationships, cast of queer characters (who are also terrible people)
- Witness for the Dead – gay lead, some brief allusions to past relationship and hints of potential future relationship
- Master of Djinn – lesbian lead and relationship
- Queer Principles of Kit Webb – gay lead and relationship
- One Last Stop – bisexual lead and lesbian relationship, cast of queer characters
- Broken – OK, this one isn’t queer so much as about mental illness (depression and anxiety mostly)
- An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson
- The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
- The Outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinley
- Ashlords by Scott Reintgen
- Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynn-Jones
- Spin the Dawn by Elizabeth Lim
2 thoughts on “Midyear Favorites Roundup”
I am about to read my ARC of Master of Djinn and I’m so excited to see it on a favorites list!
It’s so good! I listened to the audiobook and the narrator did a great job. Have you read the short stories and novella that come before it? I think they help give a sense of the world and characters. Especially A Dead Djinn in Cairo and The Haunting of Tram Car 015.